Job Opening: Library Director
||Library Board of Trustees
SUMMARY: Plans, manages, and directs the operations, programs, services, and personnel of the Rapides Parish Library System.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- General Administration and Management
- Formulates and recommends policies to the library board
- Oversees and directs the Library’s operations including public services, technology, administration, and facilities management.
- Works in conjunction with the Administration Staff and Library Board of Trustees to develop and maintain short and long term plans for the Library.
- Serves as a staff representative to the Board and prepares agendas and discussion items for scheduled Board meetings; prepares and presents staff reports and other correspondence.
- Manages the development and implementation of Library goals, objectives, priorities, policies, and procedures; ensures Board objectives are integrated into Library policies and goals.
- Evaluates, determines, and requests additional funds necessary for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; develops and schedules equipment purchases and replacements.
- Directs and participates in the development and administration of the annual capital, operating, and other assigned budgets; monitors and authorizes expenditure.
- Monitors and evaluates service delivery methods and procedures; identifies and implements changes necessary to improve operational efficiency.
- Serves as a representative of the Library and coordinates departmental activities with other departments, outside agencies, community organizations, and the media.
- Employs management techniques effectively in directing, planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, budgeting, and evaluating the library's operation.
- Directs the maintenance of the library building and grounds and recommends future space needs.
- Interprets and explains Library policies, procedures, and programs to the public.
- Demonstrates leadership within the organization: Takes initiative, solves problems, effects change through the action of others, and encourages the development of other staff through a positive work environment.
- Planning, Organization, and Evaluation
- Ensures the delivery of high quality library programs and services to the community.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Library’s collection; develops policies in relation to the selection and purchase of all library materials.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of library services in relation to the changing needs of the community.
- Investigates new trends and specific library programs and facilitates testing of new techniques, materials, and equipment to improve the operation of the library.
- Personnel Management
- Develops staff job descriptions, recommends and administers personnel policies.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and monitors the performance of assigned personnel.
- Responds to inquiries involving library related matters; negotiates and resolves complex, sensitive, and/or controversial issues and complaints.
- Defines expectations for staff performance and sets goals for service and programming.
- Works to promote high staff morale
- Provides in-service programs for employee training and development, encouraging staff input.
- Encourages staff professional growth at all levels by supporting participation in professional associations, workshops, seminars, and activities.
- Ensures that staff performance appraisals are done on a regular schedule.
- Acts as a consultant, mediator, and facilitator for staff.
- Community and Professional Development
- Directs, attends, and participates in a variety of meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences; serves on committees as assigned.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public library management.
- Represents the library and speaks before community, civic, and other groups regarding the objectives and activities of the library.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other governmental agencies, civic and community groups, and the general public.
- Serves as official representative of the library in actions that legally bind or politically influence the library.
- Serves as a model to staff in the sense of professionalism, demonstrating strong professional ethics and keeping informed through professional literature.
- Supports and facilitates the work of the Friends of the Library.
- Attends professional and other meetings to maintain contact with other professional and library-related agencies.
- Participates in professional development opportunities to enhance managerial skills and maintains an awareness of new trends and developments in the library field.
Performs other related responsibilities that may be required by the position and as directed by the Board of Control.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an American Library Association accredited college or university, plus 5 years of previous experience as a Library Director, or equivalent, and five (5) years of library experience, with at least five (5) years at an administrative or highly responsible managerial level.
- Excellent inter-personal and communications skills, oral and written.
- Thorough knowledge of automated library systems, social media, computer proficiency, and ability to organize, supervise and manage personnel and projects.
- Certification by the Louisiana State Board of Library Examiners as required by R.S. 25:215 and provided in R.S. 25:222.
- Pre-employment Drug/Alcohol test and Background check required
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Principles and practices of public library system administration.
- Public library policies, procedures, and standards of service.
- Federal, State, and Local regulations governing library operations.
- Current trends in library services, programming, and technology.
- Methods for evaluating public library programs, policies, and operational requirements.
- Processes for developing and administering budgets.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Directing public library operations, programs, and services.
- Ensuring the delivery of quality library programs and services to the community
- Developing and implementing library goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Responding to and resolving complex issues and complaints involving library related matters.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others.
- Developing and administering budgets and monitoring expenditure.
- Supervising, leading, and delegating tasks and authority.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as a complete list of all job duties performed by persons in the position. Management reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time as the needs of the library and requirements of the job change.
Click Here for Application
Please mail resumes and applications to
The Rapides Parish Library
c/o Jackie Brown, Human Resources Manager
411 Washington Street
Alexandria, LA 71301
or email them to email@example.com