Primary duties include the following:
- Provide various customer service information to customers in a light to heavy traffic customer service environment
- Perform computerized circulation activities (including, but not limited to) checking in and checking out library materials, registering customers and issuing library cards, processing over dues, collecting money for various services and fees, providing assistance and obtaining materials
- Sort and prepare books and other library materials for shelving
- Shelve and shelf-read library materials
- Perform administrative and clerical duties such as typing, data entry, copying, faxing, updating of materials, simple calculating, answering the telephone, taking messages, and/or responding to e-mail and various other correspondences
- High school graduate or GED
- Basic computer literacy in Microsoft Office programs
- Minimum of 35 WPM typing speed
Must be able to:
- Lift, carry or push a minimum of 35 lbs
- Repeatedly reach above shoulders, bend, squat and stoop
- Climb a two or three level step ladder
- Stand for extended (2 ½ to 3 hours) and varied periods of time
- Focus and remain attentive to detail while performing tasks
- Assignments may be scheduled in advance, or on the day of the vacancy. It is vital that Substitution Clerks be easy to contact by telephone, answering machine or email. An email address is required.
- All Substitution Clerks are required to work at least 24 hours per month and 200 hours within six months (8 hours a week). They must work at least five locations, plus the Bookmobile, if needed.
- Complete a 40 hour week of training in a lab setting Monday-Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, in addition to hands-on training the following week
Substitute workers fill in for regular employees. Hours may be four or eight per day depending on location. You must be able to work weekdays, weekends, evenings (until 6:00 PM) and before and after holidays. Substitute workers must have a reliable phone to receive messages and return phone calls. Library open hours cover Monday - Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and Sunday 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
RATE OF PAY: $8.00 per hour
Applicants must complete these two steps:
1. Complete a Rapides Parish Library application. Application should be sent as an email attachment to: email@example.com. Applications that are not typed will not be accepted.
2. Complete testing for Substitute Clerk at Rapides Career Solution Center (Job Services) 610-B Coliseum Boulevard, Alexandria, LA Phone: 487-5532
Contact: Jackie Brown, HR Administrator (445-6436 Ext. 1006) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org