Westside Regional Library Manager
- Manages a facility with a collection greater than 50,000 volumes.
- Oversees meeting room and study room scheduling.
- Responsible for recording, collecting, compiling, tracking and calculating computer usage, circulation and other transaction counts for internal and external statistical reports, including monthly reports, and responsible for the staff’s accurate record keeping.
- Responsible to see that all required call-ins, memos, printouts, etc., which have deadlines, are done in a timely manner.
- Determines work schedules of employees. Approves, verifies and certifies hours worked and absenteeism of employees.
- Coordinates with Public Relations Officer to promote branch through press releases, media coverage, newsletters, public service flyers, signs, brochures and other marketing and publicity efforts.
- Recommends short and long range plans and oversees their achievement.
- Is responsible to be sure that the Library staff follows all policies and procedures, and that posted notices, etc., are kept neat and up-to-date.
- Maintains time sheets for Volunteer Workers.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the facility, reports issues with the facility to the administration, and follows through until the problem is solved.
- Collection Development
- Assists in recommending and/or selecting adult materials.
- Responsible for weeding of adult collection.
- With Outreach Services Coordinator, is responsible for maintaining and/or rearranging the collection as needed.
- Customer Service
- Greets and serves customers at the service desk on a daily basis.
- Maintains a friendly atmosphere, including but not limited to:
- A neat and tidy circulation desk and public area.
- Welcoming atmosphere.
- An acceptable noise level.
- Maintains seasonal decorations.
- Assists in the selection, hiring and training of subordinate staff.
- Supervises six (6) or more staff including the rotating Assistant Manager and Facility Worker. Supervision includes establishing goals, training, evaluating, scheduling of work and assigning tasks. Assists and participates in discipline, grievances and terminations.
- Trains rotating Assistant Manager, with input from the Direct Services Coordinator.
- Responsible to develop the staff’s skills through workshops, online training, in-house training, etc.
- Determines priorities and ensures workflow of task assignments.
- Responsible to recruit, train and supervise Volunteer Workers.
- Job Knowledge:
- Performs basic to advanced level bibliographic and/or circulation functions to fill customer requests.
- Provides varied customer service information to customers in a heavy traffic customer service environment.
- Operates computer terminals, printers and various search databases at basic to advanced skill level for search, retrieval and dissemination of information to customers.
- Conducts or assists customers in intermediate to advanced level Internet searches and retrievals.
- Provides books and other materials to customers and assists customers with materials selection.
- Collects monies for various services and fees.
- Troubleshoots basic customer computer problems and provides basic computer operation assistance.
- Performs circulation activities using computer terminals [including, but not limited to] checking in and out of library materials, registering customers and issuing library cards and/or processing overdues.
- Sorts and prepares books and other library materials for shelving.
- Shelves and shelf reads library materials.
- Researches books, and other print and non-print materials to answer reference questions at basic to advanced level.
- Records, tracks and calculates reference questions and customer computer usage.
- Fills out paperwork or makes data entries and submits book and other material requests.
- Performs administrative and clerical duties such as copying, filing, faxing, updating of materials, simple calculating, answering the telephone, taking messages, and/or responding to e-mail and various other correspondence.
- Performs other related work as required or directed.
- Four-year college degree and two (2) years of full-time supervisory experience or high school diploma and three (3) years of full time supervisory experience or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Internet at intermediate to advanced levels.
- Proof of ability to type 35 wpm on computer keyboard.
- Ability to lift, carry, pull and push minimum of 35 pounds.
- Ability to repeatedly bend, stoop, squat, climb two to three level step ladder, and reach above head.
- Ability to stand for varied and extended (2 ½ to 3 hours) periods of time.
- Ability to sit for varied and extended (2 ½ to 3 hours) periods of time.
- Ability to work flexible, irregular and varied work hours, including nights and weekends.
- Class E (standard) driver’s license and clean driving record prior to applying for position and ability to maintain clean driving record.
- Successful participation in pre-employment/transfer drug screening and Random Drug Testing Program.
Westside Regional Library
5416 Provine Place
Alexandria, LA 71303
This position is a Pay Grade 8 with the following pay scale:
Min: $11.53 Mid: $15.48 Max: $20.20
Wage is determined by verifiable education and experience.
Position will close on Monday, August 25 at 5:00 pm.
Human Resource Administrator
Rapides Parish Library
318-445-6436 Ext. 1006