WIRELESS ACCESS POLICY
The Rapides Parish Library offers free wireless access for library customers to use with their own personal devices.
This service is filtered to comply with the Children's Internet Protection Act. It is also governed by the Electronic Resources Access and Internet Safety Policy.
Because of the proliferation of wireless networks, library customers may also be able to access other networks within the library building that are not provided by the Library. Use of these non-Rapides Parish Library networks within the Library's facilities is also governed by the Electronic Resources Access and Internet Safety Policy.
What is needed to connect?
- A portable device equipped with an 802.11 b or g compatible wireless card.
- The device must be configured DHCP, without a proxy configured on the browser.
- If a customer is not sure if a device has this functionality, the Library recommends checking with the manufacturer or equipment supplier.
Limitations and disclaimers:
- The Library's wireless connection is not secured. There is no encryption. Information sent to and from a device may be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software.
- The Library seeks to make wireless access as available as possible, but customers may encounter some "dead" spots with limited reception. If problems occur when accessing the Internet or staying online, moving to a different location within the library is recommended.
- Printing is not available on the wireless network. Any of the Library's public access computers allows printing.
- Library staff cannot provide technical assistance, and no guarantee can be made that a wireless connection will be successful.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety or security of a customer's personal equipment resulting from connection to the Library's wireless network, or for the safety of the equipment while at the Library.
Adopted by the Board of Control December 12, 2006
Revised September 15, 2009