- Performs circulation activities (including, but not limited to) checking in and out of library materials, registering customers, issuing library cards, and processing overdues.
- Sorts and prepares books and other library materials for shelving
- Conducts or assists in basic to advanced research of books, periodicals and other print materials to provide information to customers.
- Operates various computer sources and various databases for basic to advanced research, retrieval, and dissemination of information to customers.
- Provides various customer service related information to library customers in a light to heavy customer service work environment.
- Performs basic to elementary level bibliographic and/or circulation functions.
- Submits books and other materials requests in print and/or electronically to the Loan Division.
- Shelves and shelf reads library materials.
- Sorts and prepares materials for delivery.
- Types and/or prints various information tracking records relative to delivery of materials.
- Prepares and/or processes returns.
- Collects monies from customers for various services and fees.
- Performs light housekeeping duties to maintain a neat work area and customer service environment.
- Assists with materials and equipment preparations, registrations and attendance of Summer Reading Program activities
- Assists with decorating and maintaining department/branch bulletin boards
- Performs other related work as required or directed.
- The workweek begins on Monday and ends on Sunday. Saturday and Sunday hours may be included.
- Rapides Parish Library hereby reserves at its absolute discretion the right to transfer you to any department or branch as needed in the future.
- High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) and ability to read, write, understand carry out written and oral instructions.
- Computer literate.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office.
- Proof of ability to type 35 wpm on computer keyboard.
- Ability to lift, carry, and push minimum 25 – 30 lbs
- Ability to repeatedly reach above your head.
- Ability to repeatedly bend, stoop, squat, and climb two to three level step ladder
- Ability to stand for varied and extended (2 ½ to 3 hours) period of time
- Ability to sit for varied and extended (2 ½ to 3 hours) period of time
- Ability to focus and remain attentive to detail while doing repetitive tasks
- Ability to work flexible, irregular and varied work hours, including Saturdays, nights and weekends
- Ability to work alone in a building after hours, entering and exiting.
- Ability to withstand drastic changes in temperature and inclement weather.
- Successful participation in Random Drug Testing Program.
Location: Main Library, 411 Washington Street, Alexandria, LA
Position Details: Pay Grade 3 with the following pay scale:
Min: $7.65 Mid: $10.29 Max: $13.42
Wage is determined by verifiable education and experience.
Applicants should complete a Rapides Parish Library application on-line here. Application should be saved as a pdf file and sent as an email attachment. Applications that are not typed will not be accepted. An updated resume should be submitted also.
Contact: Carolyn Colwell Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 318-445-6436 Ext. 1006